Sunday, November 16, 2008

Life's Lessons

V1)  I could not recall all the women I've been with

        If there was a prize paid in riches untold.

        But those that I've loved, I could count on three fingers,

        And I wouldn't trade them for Solomon's gold.

        Though they are gone, their memories haunt me,

        And I know they will 'til I lie in my grave.

        They may never know all the lessons they taught me,

        But they keep the parts of my heart that I gave.

 

Ch)  The pain and the pleasure ride so close together

        That Satan and Christ couldn't rend them in two.

        Nymph, in thy orisons, bless me and curse me.

        One day I'll be man enough to deserve you.

 

V2)   I've spent my young life up on good times and whiskey.

        And I've passed up on girls who were queens in disguise.

        Others, I've left there to wonder and miss me,

        With a wink, and some poems full of half-hearted lies.

        Fear is the reason I've always kept drifting –

        Fear if I stop I'll catch up with myself.

        'Cuz all of my bridges are ash for the sifting,

        Now I've left the bottle alone on the shelf.

 

        (CHORUS)

 

V3)  The things that we do when we don't know no better

        Won't be held against us when judgement is nigh,

        But those that we do knowing full well we shouldn't

        Are what make us fear that we one day will die.

        One day, I am sure, I must go meet my maker,

        With my hat in my hand and my mouth full of fear.

        So I'd better get busy living or dying,

        So I can say I didn't waste my time here.

 

            (Chorus)

 

Lyrics by M.J. Brown. Winter, 02/03, fall 2004.

2 comments:

christopher lars carlson said...

keep 'em coming!

so touching.

Tom Howie said...

got any more of these? if this were the front of a collection of poems, and i read this, i would drop everything i was doing to read the rest. stirred.